“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life; dream of it; think of it; live on that idea.”
– Swami Vivekananda
About the Cell
‘MHRD’s Innovation Cell (MIC)’ has envisioned encouraging creation of ‘Institution’s Innovation Council (IICs) across selected HEIs. A network of IICs is established to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in the Institution through multitudinous modes leading to an innovation promotion ecosystem in the campuses.
In this context, The innovation, incubation and entrepreneurship (IIE) cell of Kazi Nazrul University is envisioned to network individuals, concepts, expertise and resources to encourage, inspire and nurture the innovative ideas of young students and transform them into working models and start-ups.
To cater the need of the young innovators and entrepreneurs by various activities which will facilitate remarkable contribution to the economic growth and social advancement of the nation and also benefit humanity as a whole.
To highlight and utilize the scientific discoveries and technical inventions of KNU which may address critical environmental and socio-economic issues at local, national and global level by facilitating technology transfer and commercialization of the developed process/product.
Functions of IIE Cell
- To encourage the student innovators and support them for start-ups.
- To highlight innovative projects carried out by faculty members and students of KNU.
- To conduct various activities related to innovation and entrepreneurship within the institute for the purpose of entrepreneurial skill development.
- Integration of management and engineering programmes in order to develop innovative schemes related to entrepreneurship.
- To provide guidance for start-ups during the gestation period.
- Organization of periodic workshops/ seminars/ interactions in collaboration with established entrepreneurs and professionals.
- Development of network among entrepreneurs and innovators around the locality.
- Organization of industry academia interaction to promote innovations and entrepreneurship.
IIC council members
- Roles & Responsibility
Constitution of IIE Council:
1. Faculty/ Officers Representation:
Faculty representation can be from teaching and non-teaching staff. One faculty can have multiple roles in IIE council.
1.1 President –Representative will be nominated by Head of the Institute
1.2 Convener - Preferably Incubation in charge of institute or Faculty with Entrepreneurship Experience or Interest
1.3 Development and Planning Officer, Kazi Nazrul University
1.4 Innovation activity coordinator
1.5 Start-up activity coordinator
1.6 Internship coordinator
1.7 IPR activity coordinator
1.8 Social Media Coordinator
1.9 Members – No limit
2. Expert Representation: Members (Minimum 3 representatives from following)
2.1 IP Expert/ Patent Expert
2.2 Startup / Alumni entrepreneur
2.3 Expert from nearby Industry/ Industry association/ Ecosystem Enablers
2.4 FI/Bank/Investor/Angel Investor/ Venture Capitalist
2.5 Nearby Incubation Centre
3. Student Representation: will help Faculty coordinators to carry out various activities.
3.1 Innovation coordinator –Up to 10 Members
3.2 Startup coordinator –Up to 10 Members
3.3 Internship coordinator –Up to 10 Members
3.4 IPR coordinator –Up to 10 Members
3.5 Social Media coordinator –Up to 10 Members
3.6 General Members- No Limit
4. Special Invitee
IIE council's members roles and responsibility
1.1 President: -
- The President will constitute the IIE council and appoint its members. He/She is responsible for ensuring that Quarterly Council Meeting is planned effectively. Conduct Council Meeting in accordance with prescribed rules and that matters are dealt with in an orderly, efficient manner.
- He/ She will lead the IIE Council.
- He/ She will have the IIE portal Login ID and will be the custodian of IIE portal login and data/ reports uploaded therein.
- He/ She will call the meetings, set meeting agenda and will monitor the deliverable.
- He/ She will be the main point of contact with MHRD Innovation Cell.
- He/ She will respond to all communication from IIE National Coordination team (MHRD Innovation Cell) and will be responsible to ensure decent performance of IIE.
- He/ She will coordinate with MHRD innovation cell and responsible for all the IIE activities in the institute.
- He/ She will ensure Institution’s participation in IIE calendar activity and take lead in the institution driven activities (own initiatives).
- He/ She will ensure the effective implementation of IIE activities with the help of Convener.
- He could change the council members as per the decision taken in council meetings and update the information on portal.
- He/ She will be responsible for submitting the monthly progress/activity reports on the IIC portal.
1.2 Convener: -
- The Convener will work in close coordination with IIE president and will provide help wherever required for smooth conduction of activities.
- He/ She will ensure the participation in the meeting and will prepare the meeting agenda at least 10 days prior to meeting with the inputs from all valuable council members and President.
- He/ She will ensure that the internal examination dates would not interfere with the IIE activities and coordinate with all departments to ensure the same.
- He/ She will collect the inputs from all the members of the council at regular interval, especially external members for better planning of IIE activities and effective delivery of results.
1.3 Development and Planning Officer, Kazi Nazrul University:
DPO will work in close coordination with President and Convener to develop a comprehensive ecosystem of innovation and synergy in efforts to boost entrepreneurship. He/She will work as per the responsibilities assigned in council meeting.
Faculty Member/Faculty representatives/ Non-teaching staff: -
1.4 Innovation activity coordinator -
Will work to promote innovation related activities on campus or as mandated in IIE council meeting.
1.5 Start-up activity coordinator -
Will work to boost startup generation among students and related activities or as mandated in IIE council meeting.
1.6 Internship coordinator -
Will work to arrange student internships in startups, so to expose them with startup ecosystem in India, real-life challenges in startup and their success stories or as mandated in IIE council meeting.
1.7 IPR activity coordinator -
To promote awareness about IPRs and conduct related activities on campus or as mandated in IIE council meeting.
1.8 Social Media Coordinator -
Will create and manage IIE page/account on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and other relevant social media platforms. He / She will be responsible for posting all the relevant information about council meeting resolution and action plan, IIE
Accounts to follow:
- Like/Follow, share, subscribe and promote IIE, KNU-
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IIEKNU
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/IIEKNU
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/IIEKNU
1.9 Members – No limit
2.1 IP Expert/ Patent Expert:
- Patent expert could be any registered patent agent/lawyer or the subject matter expert/faculty who have sufficient years of experience in the IPR domain.
- He/ She would suggest points related to patent and technology transfer in the council meeting.
- He/ She would also play a key role in the IPR workshops scheduled in the IIE calendar within that institute.
2.2 Startup / Alumni entrepreneur:
Alumni network of any institution is the most valuable resource of any Institution. The role of alumni entrepreneur is to guide not only the council in the matters of startup ecosystem but to also guide the students of the institution. He/ She can share his success story as an entrepreneur/innovator.
2.3 Expert from nearby Industry/ Industry association/ Ecosystem Enablers:
- He/ She will attend the council meeting on regular basis (quarterly).
- Technical Expert would play the role of mentor/guide to the institute students.
- He/ She will help in organizing institute level idea Competition/Hackathon by suggesting suitable problem statements or theme.
- He/ She will give his inputs in council meetings about the latest trends in technologies and feasibility of the idea/point discussed.
2.4 FI/Bank/Investor/Angel Investor/ Venture Capitalist:
- He/ She will attend the council meeting on regular basis (quarterly).
- His/ Her role is to give information about loan schemes, grant and investments regarding startup and entrepreneurship.
- He/ She will also arrange meetings with investors/sponsor for the events organized by the institute based on the IIE calendar/guidelines.
2.5 Expert from Nearby Incubation Center:
- He/ She will attend the general council meeting on regular basis (quarterly).
- He/ She will help the IIE in conducting idea workshops/ competition/ Hackathon/ bootcamps etc.
- He/ She will also help the IIE in identifying ideas from IIE events and provide mentoring, incubation guidance and business network support.
3. Student Representative -
Student coordinators will act as a medium of communication between IIE and institute students. He/ She will understand the concept, idea and method of participation in IIE activities and disseminate it to all the students. He/ She will act as volunteer for IIE programs and will support respective faculty coordinators.
4. Special Invitee:
President can nominate any person as a special invitee in IIE council meetings. Special Invitee could be any eminent person in the field of academics/industry/research/innovation etc.
IIE needs to registrar following portal as per AICTE directives: