About the Centre
The Department of Political Science has opened a Research Centre namely “Centre for Studies of South & South East-Asian Societies”.
The Fulty Members of the Department of Political science have variety of research interests which represent constantly evolving
sub-disciplines within the rich and broad scholarship of Political analysis and theory. We strongly believe that creating a platform
with specific research interest will help both the institution a platform with specific research interest will help bothy the
institution and individual faculty to become a hub in the broader networks of knowledge transaction in the subcontinent and beyond .
The Centre will facilitate research in areas related to cultural transformation, infrastructural transition, electoral behaviour,
humanitarian intervention, evolving modes of inequality, ethnic and economic tensions. Each sector of research Interest will be
developed as a semi-autonomous focus group by the individual features who are formal parts of the centre. The Centre will seek to
access networks of knowledge production and funding globally. It will also help project the University Department on the regional
and global registers of scholarship by connecting the Departmental infrastructure with international scholarly networks. This connection
is projected to be involved in wider pedagogic practices for research training, workshops and focus courses.
Dr. Debasish Nandy [Coordinator]
Dr. Asis Mistry [Joint Coordinator]
Dr. Himadri Chatterjee [Joint Coordinator]
Board of Advisors
- Dr. Sanjay Bhardwaj (Professor and Director, Centre for South Asian Studies, SIS, JNU, New Delhi, India)
- Dr. Ganga Thapa (Professor. Department of Political Science, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal)
- Dr. Anil Kumar Mahapatra (Professor and Head, Department of Political Science, Fakir Mohan University, Balasore, Orisa, India)
- Dr. Mahesh Ranjan Debata (Director, Centre for Inner-Asian Studies, SIS, JNU, New Delhi, India)
- Dr. Li Thai Ha (Senior Lecterer, Department of Economics, RMIT University, Ho-Chi-Minh City, Vietnam)
- Dr. Ramakrishnan Dharmar (Professor and Head, Department of Political Science, Kamraj University, Madurai, India)
- Dr. Biswanath Chakraborty (Professor, Department of Political Science, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, India)
- Dr. Martin Malek (Faculty Member, Institute for Strategy and Security Policy, National Defence Academy, Vienna, Austria)
1. International Conference
The Centre has already organized an international Conference in association with the mother Department-Political Science on 9th September, 2018. The title of the conference was” Nationalism, Ethnicity, Religion and Security in South Asia”. It was funded by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS), Kolkata. Recourse persons had come from, Austria, Bangladesh, Jawharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, Kamraj University, Madurai, Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad, Sikkim University, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore, Burdwan University. A number of good papers were presented by scholars and academicians of respective fields across the India. The conference proceeding was published in digital form. This copy is available on our university website.
2. International Journal
The Centre has already published the first issue of its international journal in September, 2018. It is an international peer reviewed quarterly journal. The name of this journal is: “International Journal of South and South East-Asian Societies”. It is also available on our university website. There are a number of noted academicians in the editorial board of this Journal. The Editorial Board of this journal is as follows----
- Editor in Chief: Dr. Debasish Nandy
- Joint Editor: Dr. Himadri Chatterjee & Dr. Asis Mistry
Other Editorial Board Members
- Dr. Jose Aims Ricarrte Rocina (Professor, De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines)
- Dr. Tulshi Kumar Das (Professor, Shajalal, University, Shilet, Bangladesh)
- Dr. Mahesh Senanayake (Professor, Colombo University, Sri Lanka)
- Dr. Biswanath Chakraborty (Professor, Rabindra Bharati University)
- Dr. Ramakrishna Dharmar (Professor,Madurai Kamraj University, Tamil Nadu)
- Dr. Rajashree Das Gupta (Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi)
- Prof. R. Radhakrishnan (Symbiosis Law School, Hyderabad, India)
Negotiations and Dialogues
The Centre aims to connect with South and South-East-Asian states. In order to understand the diplomatic, political and cultural aspects we have started to talk with a number of academicians and diplomats of these two regions.
3. Organized Events
- One Day International Symposium was organized on “Borders and Migrants in South Asia” on 21st January, 2019. Prof. Pradip Mehbub (Department of Public Administration, Rajsahi University, Bangladesh), Sri Pankaj Dutta (Former I.G. West Bengal Police), Dr. Asoke Kumar Ray (Formerly associated with Delhi Based Think Tanks on Border Studies).
- Dr. Saber Ahmed Chowdhury (Associate Professor), Department of Peace and Conflict Studies had delivered a special lecture on “Radicalization of Bangladesh: The Peace Dialogues” on 1st April, 2019.
4. Collaborative Programmes
- Two Days National Level Conference on “Parliamentary Democracy in South Asia: Problems and Prospects” was organized by the Department of Political Science, Kanchrapara College on 26th and 27th February, 2019 in collaboration with “Centre for Studies of South and South-East-Asian Studies”, Kazi Nazrul University.
- One Day National Level Symposium on “The Post-Cold War India’s Foreign Policy” was organized by the Department of Political Science, Vidyasagar College, Kolkata on 27th February, 2019. In collaboration with “Centre for Studies of South and South-East-Asian Studies", Kazi Nazrul University.
5. Lectures on YouTube Channel
A number of lectures on various themes related to our Centre have been uploaded on our Departmental You Tube Channel.
6. Upcoming Events
- Special Lectures will be organized by the following eminent academicians:
- Professor Sibasish Chatterjee (Department of International Relations, Jadavpur University, Kolkata)
- Dr. Mahesh Ranjan Debata (Director, Centre for Inner Asian Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi)
- Ambassador, Ashok Mukherjee (Former Indian Ambassador to U.S.A., U.K, UAE, Afghanistan)
- Dr. Sanjay Deshpandy (Professor, Bombay University)
- Dr. Sanjay Bhardwaj (Chairperson, Centre for South Asian, Studies, JNU, New Delhi)
- International Conference of “Energy Security Issue and India’s Foreign Policy” (November, 2019)
- National Level seminar on “Connecting South-East and West Asia” (July, 2019)
- Monograph on Electoral Politics in South Asia (March, 2020).
- The Centre will make connections with various countries of South and South-East Asian regions for better understanding the society, politics and economy.
- To establish a bridge between our university with other universities and institutions of these two regions.
- To generate funds from various sources in order to scholarly contribution on these two regions.
- To glorify our university through various research activities which will serve for the grater society.